I Shifted from Canon to Nikon

This article is written for a very specified people, if you are not all of the below points dont waste your time reading the article because it wont help you much.

1- Canon photographers live in Bahrain

2- Photographers that money is not a big issue for them to shift.

3- Owners of the 5D mark II

4- Photographers that need the large amount of Mega Pixels.

Note: this is not a technical head to head comparison, its just me chatting about the subject to share my feelings.


Why did I buy Nikon (D800E and the D4) and didn't go with Canon (5D MArk III and the 1Dx)

As you may already know I am the owner of Vivid Brands (www.vivid-bh.com). Which means most of photography work we do is commercial and advertising.

I made Allot of research hand thinking and calculating before shifting and the big reasons to shift was as follows:

1- Canon in Bahrain (my country) is a rip off, the quotation I requested from them is BD2000 more than if I order everything from the internet. Nikon (Ashraf) its just BD300 dinar more which is considering the shipping and the tax cost it will be the same if I ordered everything online.

2- Nikon has the D800E 36MP, Why I need 36MP? because I love the details and I love to be able to crop any part of the photo I take to satisfy the Advertising Agencies, Art Directors.

..............................................

After using the Nikon, is it better than the Canon?

Well I own the Canon 5D Mark II, which is pretty old camera by now. So If I am gonna compare the D800E and the D4 with the Canon Mark II then it will not be fair at all.

So I dont know if Nikon is better than Canon or not. But what I know is if you own the 5D Mark II and money is not an issue to buy new set of Nikon lenses then I promise you that the shift will draw a happy line on your face.

I noticed the amount of customisation on Nikon cameras is amazing I love the way that you can customise every single thing.  and I love the fact that there are allot of buttons for each function for easy and fast access while shooting.

The metering on Nikon is a black magic voodoo thing, it made me feel that my Canon 5D mark II metering was not functioning or Damaged :P .. I took the D4 near the beach and start shooting using the Aperture priority mode and everything else was just Automatic ..The exposure came up so damn perfect, when I downloaded the photos on the computer I was like : O  for the first time ever I didn't fiddle with the exposure slider on Lightroom to fix the exposure.

............................................

What is the most thing I noticed in Nikon and I felt love with?

1- Focusing Speed

2- Focusing in a very very low light

3- The fous assistant light beam

4- Smartness

5- The image details generated from the D800E

6- The speed of the Nikon D4

...........................................

What is it like to use the Nikon D800E and the D4 after using the 5D mark II for 5 years?

You will feel like you were on the Dark Ages and suddenly woke up in 2013.

..........................................

What did I like in Canon more than Nikon?

1- Canon L lenses feel much professional and regid than Nikons lenses

2- Canon LCD quality is way better than the Nikon. The Nikon ones have color shifts and low dynamic range (highlights look burned even though they are not and the photos look like they have color cast on them.)

3- Canon dont zoom more than the actual size (100%) when previewing the images on the back LCD unlike Nikon they zoom further and they dont tell you the zoom percentage which makes it difficult to you to check the focus. because whenever you go further the image starts to pixilate.

..........................................

What I am going to do with the Canon gears?

I will keep everything and I will refurbish my Canon 5D mark II.

It wont hurt anybody to have both systems and you never know when you will need Canon again.

I probably will still use canon for my personal photography and travel and keep the Nikon for the serious work.

............................................

Conclusion?

I am happy that I took the decision to shift to the Nikons boses its a move that refreshed my love for photography.

My portfolio created with Canon, and the same portfolio will get me jobs to shoot with the new Nikons and I was able to sell photos taken with my old Canon 350D entry level camera.

So in the end, what is your gear Brand will not change or improve how creative you are and it wont effect your business. But the upgrade from a 5 years old camera to a current new camera (Nikon or Canon) loaded with all the sweet new technologies will sure make your life easier.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Motion Graphics